Want to know the battery levels of your AirPods? There are several ways to check!
Here we detail three ways to check AirPods battery levels. Apple’s AirPods are possibly the most popular accessory Apple has ever made. Regional AirPods made their debut with great success and since then Apple has released a Second generation AirPods and also the AirPods Pro. Apple is also rumored to be on the verge of announcing the third-generation AirPods.
People love AirPods because of their audio quality, ease of use, and of course, their small size. But this small size comes with a drawback: the AirPods are too small to have a battery indicator – even a battery status light.
So what should you do if you want to check AirPods battery levels? Fortunately, there are three easy ways to do this.
Check AirPods Battery: Method 1
We call this the “widget method” because this way of checking the battery levels of your AirPods relies on usage. iOS 14 and iOS 15built-in battery widget. If the battery widget is showing on any of your home screens, you can still quickly view the exact battery levels of your AirPods by taking a quick glance at the widget.
For those unfamiliar with the battery widget, this is a widget that displays the battery percentage of your iPhone on the screen and all devices currently connected wirelessly to the iPhone, such as headphones Bluetooth and, yes, AirPods.
To check the battery levels of your AirPods this way, you just need to make sure the widget is showing on your home screen. To do this, just follow these steps (you only need to do this once to configure the widget):
- Press and hold any icon on the iPhone home screen until it starts to shake.
- Tap the + button that appears in the upper left corner.
- In the Widgets menu that appears, scroll down and tap where it says Battery.
- Select your choice of battery widget (small / medium / large).
- Tap the green Add Widget button.
Once the widget is added to your home screen, simply swipe it anytime to see the battery levels of your AirPods (make sure the AirPods are actively connected to the iPhone at the time you check or they aren’t. ‘will not appear in the widget).
Check AirPods Battery: Method 2
This method is called the charging case-iPhone method because you will need both the AirPods in their charging case and an iPhone to check the battery levels. This is how it works:
- Bring your AirPods in their case near your unlocked iPhone.
- Now open the AirPods case cover (make sure your AirPods are inside the case.
- Wait a few seconds and you’ll soon see an AirPods card swiping across your iPhone screen. The card will display the name of your AirPods as well as the battery levels of the left and right AirPods and their cases.
Check AirPods Battery: Method 3
The latter method allows you to check AirPods battery levels using only the case. However, this method is not accurate because you will not see any level indicator.
Here’s how it works: With your AirPods in the charging case, open the cover and look for the charging light. If the light is:
- Green – means your AirPods have more than 50% charge remaining.
- Amber – means your AirPods have less than 50% charge remaining.
While this method is useful for checking AirPods battery levels when you don’t have your phone with you, the downside is obvious – you don’t know the exact battery levels using this method. You only know if your AirPods have more or less than 50% charge left.
Apple expert and novelist, Michael grothaus has been covering technology on KnowYourMobile for almost 10 years. Before that he worked at Apple. And before that, he was a film journalist. Michael is a published author; his book Epiphany Jones was voted one of the best novels about Hollywood by Weekly entertainment. Michael is also a writer for other publications including VICE and Fast Company.